Wednesday, June 07, 2006

`Tomb robbers...

Robber's cloth rag, found in Tutankhamen's tomb,
which contained gold rings. The thieves probably
dropped it when caught by necropolis officials.
(Photo Credit: Howard Carter and A. C. Mace, The Tomb
of Tut-ankh-amen (London, 1923--1933.)


I was watching NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC'S TOP 5: ANCIENT EGYPT yesterday when jhiez texted me and told me to come to their house. Unfortunately I was not able to come to their place, reason was "I JUST DON'T WANT TO." Evil me stroke again! HARHAR. Anyways while I was watching the featured presentation I was definitely taken aback. I did not imagine how tomb robbing became FAMOUS in Egypt. For once I thought that only the lowest dregs of their society could commit such mischievous acts but na-ah even persons from the middle class (a.k.a. the nobles) would steal and perform sacrilege to their KING-GODS.

I suddenly became amazed to ANCIENT EGYPTS mysteries and pratices. Beautifying the pharaohs' tombs was a sine qua non for they all believe that the dead should carry all their precious belongings to the AFTERLIFE. Well basically Egyptians think that the afterlife is pretty much like EGYPT during their times. That is the very reason why they hoard treasures to the necropolis and after the burial they seal the tombs and all the riches buried under hundred miles would all be GONE FOR ETERNITY.

Now this in turn made the poor and even the middle class all greedy. They felt that such riches don't deserve being buried and forgotten. Grabe 'di ba and I thought dito lang sa 'Pinas may mga ROBBERS and DESPARATES. But come to think of it those tomb robbers though they are criminals still had their POINT.

Masyado nag naman kasing pinaghahandaan ang afterlife ng kings nila. Uhhhmm... Tsk, tsk, tsk. Pharaohs' pleasures are Egyptians' pain?! Parang ganun ang story. *sigh*

National Geo's show featured a guy his name was something like Pinudem (I can't barely remember the exact name, so sorry). GRabe the guy was a foreman but he was just a plain craftsman before. He even ended up killing his STEPFATHER (who adopted him) so as to be the foreman. His stepuncle, on the other hand, became very jealous so he recorded every act done by Pinudem. To make the story short Pinudem was killed, en masse, and impaled (using a bamboo stick).

Egyptian justice was HARSH as we all know. Impaling in the Egyptians' version of crucifixion. After impaling the sentenced CRIMINALS would be erased in the society's record as if the person did not exist. Records about the criminal would be burnt.

HARSH TO THE ENTH POWER! Wala lang I just thought that what if Philippines has a portion of ANCIENT EGYPT's justice. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.

Well I just can't help thinking that maybe if our justice is quite tight I guess crime rate would be LOWER. Quite right, ei???

MOOD: grimaced??? lolz...


`gwen* thought hard on 10:35 AM.